The mission of the Whitebark Pine Subcommittee is to help ensure the long-term viability and function of whitebark pine in the GYA.
Whitebark Pine Subcommittee partners include staff from the forests, parks and Bureau of Land Management in the GYA, Forest Service research, Forest Service State and Private Forestry, Forest Service tree nursery staff, university researchers, USGS, Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team and Whitebark Pine Ecosystem Foundation members.
The whitebark pine subcommittee is actively implementing its Whitebark Pine Strategy for the Greater Yellowstone Area and associated Adaptive Action Plan. To learn more about implementation, you can find the most recent subcommittee overview HERE. Here are some of the activities that have been occurring throughout the Greater Yellowstone Area:
Crockett Lake Whitebark Pine Demo Unit Project:
Crockett Lake Whitebark Pine Demo Unit Prezi – Beaverhead-Deerlodge – Crocket Lake WBP Demo Unit – video presentation of whitebark pine release activities on Madison Ranger District.
Shoshone and Bridger-Teton National Forests– Planting whitebark pine after the Purdy and Hardscrabble Fires:
Greater Yellowstone Area -Wide – Caging, Collecting and cleaning whitebark pine cones for seed extraction and seedling production and spraying insecticide on whitebark pine superior trees:
Seed orchard establishment, maintenance, and monitoring – Gallatin National Forest:
- Whitebark Pine in the GYE – Adaptive Action Plan Nov 2015 (9.24 MB pdf)
- Whitebark Pine Strategy for the Greater Yellowstone Area (1.9 MB pdf)
- Annotated Bibliography – 2016 Update
- Annotated Bibliography – 2012 Update
- Annotated Bibliography – 2011 Update
- Annotated Bibliography – 2010 Update
- Annotated Bibliography – 2009 Update
- Annotated Bibliography for Whitebark Pine Ecology – 2008
- Whitebark Pine Committee Brief 2010 (71 kB pdf)
- Whitebark Pine Committee Outcomes for GYCC Projects 2009 (74 kB pdf)
- Whitebark Pine Committee Charter 2006 (94 kB pdf)
- Whitebark Pine – Wilderness in the GYA.—2006 (3.3 MB pdf) National Park Service
Posters and Brochures
- Brochure. White Pine Blister Rust. What you can do to slow the spread. USDA Forest Service (1.2 MB pdf)
- Poster. Monitoring Whitebark Pine in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. 2005. Greater Yellowstone Whitebark Pine Monitoring Working Group
- Brochure. Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem Whitebark Pine Monitoring Program. 2004. National Park Service Greater Yellowstone Inventory and Monitoring Network
- Haroldson, Mark and Shannon Podruzny, IGBST. Summary of 2003 Whitebark Pine Surveys. (187 kB pdf)
- Mahalovich, Mary F. 2004. Early survival, height, and blister rust performance of Pinus albicaulis seed sources from the Inland Northwest. (109 kB pdf) (Abstract)
- Mahalovich, Mary F., K. E. Burr and D. L Foushee. 2006. Whitebark Pine Germination, Rust, Resistance, and Cold Hardiness Among Seed Sources in the Inland Northwest: Planting Strategies for Restoration (1.6 MB pdf)
- L . E.; Dumroese, R. K.; Landis, T. D., tech. coords. 2006. National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations—2005. Proc. RMRS-P-43. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station: 91-101.
- Mahalovich, Mary F. Seed Source Study (Excel Spreadsheet)
- McCaughey, Ward, G. L. Scott, K. L. Izlar. 2009. Technical Note: Whitebark Pine Planting Guidelines. (292 kB pdf) Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 24(3): 163-166
- Murray, Michael P. 2007. Cone Collecting Techniques for Whitebark Pine. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 22(3): 153-155
- Nutcracker Notes (361 kB pdf), Number 11. January 2000. See especially Whitebark Pine Cone Collection and Seed Transfer Guidelines; pages 10 to 13 by M.F. Mahalovich and R.J. Hoff.
Spring 2016 Subcommittee Meeting – April 13, 2016
Fall 2015 Subcommittee Meeting – October 21, 2015
Spring 2015 Subcommittee Meeting – May 7, 2015
Fall 2014 Subcommittee Meeting – October 28, 2014
Spring 2014 Subcommittee Meeting – May 6, 2014
- Whitebark Pine Ecosystem Foundation
- Greater Yellowstone Network – Whitebark pine monitoring
- Interagency grizzly bear study team whitebark pine cone transects
- The subcommittee has partnered with American Forests to generate donations to help fund implementation of the Strategy